Book Club: Waking Sleeping Beauty
- Francie secretly tries on wedding dresses after hours at King’s Department Store. If you were locked in King’s overnight, what would you want to do?
- Francie dreamed of the perfect wedding all her life. She even made a wedding scrapbook. How does this fantasy affect her actions in the story?
- Marcus could fire Francie, but does not. Why does he choose to give her a second chance? Do you agree with Marcus’ decision? Why? Why not?
- With her new position of wedding consultant for the store Francie must face her controlling, domineering mother once again. How does Francie react when her mother tries to dominate her yet again? Do you agree with her approach? What could she have done differently?
- In her new role, Francie attends numerous weddings and comes to realize there is no perfect wedding for her or anyone else. Do you agree? Can there be a perfect wedding?
- Throughout his life, Marcus witnessed his mother’s infatuations and five marriages. How does this impact Marcus’ relationship with his mother?
- When it looks like Francie is going to fail in her biggest challenge, what does Marcus do? What does Francie do? Did you agree with their decisions? What could they have done differently?
- In the end, Francie discovers it’s who you marry, not how you marry. Do you agree? Why? Why not?
- When Marcus decides to marry Francie, he says he believes in Francie. He believes in her and him. Is this the best way to start out? Is believing in each other enough to begin a marriage? To hold one together?
- Francie learns that real life can be better than any dream she imagined. Have you ever had a dream and real life exceeded your expectations? What was the dream? How did real life measure up to the dream?
« Return to Waking Sleeping Beauty